POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A sword (Yes, another) : Re: A sword (Yes, another) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sword (Yes, another)
From: Charles Krause
Date: 6 Apr 1999 10:17:06
Message: <370a0952.0@news.povray.org>
I always thought that would be a _real_ accomplishment of sword-modelers,
would be the accuarate representation of a Katana. Probably the type whose
edge and back of blade followed the radius of different circles would be
easiest. However, the blades are actually very complex shapes, and the fact
that the metal is not uniform throughout the blade but is purposly hardened
to different crystalline structures in different parts of the blade makes
for some quite beautiful, and very hard to procedurally model!, textures.
And let's not even THINK about doing a wapped handle accuratly,and as far as
the orbate tsuaba got........ *shudder*

Still - it is probably _the_ sword modellers ultimate challenge. Someday
when I have a few months spare time, I may start pulling textbooks on
Japanese sword smithing off the shelf a give it a whirl, but not today.

The image? Damn close in any case :) Best approximation of that style of
blade I've seen I think :)